Generic Name : Diclofenac Sodium (Topical Solution) Pronunciation : dye-KLOE-fen-ak Therapeutic Classification : Analgesics ICD Code : Y45.3
International- Pennsaid. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an NSAID, prescribed for pain in the knee joints caused by osteoarthritis. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients who have experienced asthma, urticaria, or allergic-type reactions after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs, having coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Topical- The recommended dose is 40 drops per knee, 4 times a day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for topical application, as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, kidney or liver disease, diabetes, stomach or bowel problems, high blood pressure, blood disorders, bone marrow problems, bleeding problems, blood vessel disease, dehydration, alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* For external use only; avoid contact with eyes, nose, or mouth. It may cause harm if it is swallowed.
* Monitor kidney and liver function, blood electrolyte levels, complete blood cell counts, and blood pressure regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Local- Dryness, redness, induration, vesicles, itching, dilatation of blood vessels, pimples and hives.
Body as a Whole - Abdominal pain, accidental injury, allergic reaction, weakness, back pain, body odor, chest pain, fluid retention, face swelling, unpleasant odors, headache, lack of drug effect, neck rigidity, pain.
Heart - Palpitation, heart disorder.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, dry mouth, indigestion, stomach flu, decreased appetite, mouth ulcer, nausea, rectal bleeding.
Metabolic - Increased creatinine levels.
Musculoskeletal - Leg cramps, muscle pain.
Central Nervous System - Depression, dizziness, drowsiness, lethargy, tingling.
Respiratory - Asthma, difficulty in breathing, spasm of the larynx, throat inflammation.
Skin - Inflammation, dry skin, itching, rash.
Eye and ENT - Abnormal vision, blurred vision, cataract, ear pain, eye disorder, eye pain, taste perversion.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert