This medication is a benzodiazepine, prescribed for anxiety. It is also used for muscle spasms and seizures. It works by acting on receptors in the brain called GABA receptors.
Contraindicated in patients with increased eye pressure and hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO/IV/IM- The recommended dose range is 2 to 20 mg/day in divided doses.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with increased eye pressure, seizures, lung, heart or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication. The skilled tasks are to be carried out with caution even on the following day as there may be a hangover or residual effect particularly with long-acting benzodiazepines.
• Avoid alcohol consumption and smoking while taking this medication.
• Avoid excess dosage and long-term use of this medication.
• Most Common :
Drowsiness, fatigue and incoordination.
• Central Nervous System : Confusion, depression, slurred speech, headache, fainting, tremor and unsteadiness.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation and nausea.
• Genitourinary : Urinary incontinence, changes in sexual drive and urinary retention.
• Heart : Slow heart rate and low blood pressure.
• Eye and ENT : Blurred vision, double vision and night blindness.
• Skin : Hives and skin rash.
• Miscellaneous : Hiccups, changes in salivation and jaundice.
Monitor liver function and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
Store it at room temperature (20 to 25°C).
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All