Trade Names/Brand Names :
- Cystagon, Procysbi.
Why it is prescribed :
This medication is bitartrate salt of cysteamine prescribed for nephropathic cystinosis in children and adults.
When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity.
Category C :
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no appropriate studies in pregnant women, but potential benefits may allow the use of the drug in pregnant women despite the potential for risks.
Dosage & When it is to be taken (Indications): Children up to age of 12 years
: The recommended dosage is 1.30 grams/m2
/day of the free base, given in four divided doses.Patients over age 12 and over 110 pounds weight
: The recommended dosage is 2.0 grams/day, divided four times daily.Children under the age of 6
: The capsule content should be sprinkled over the food.
New patients should be started on ¼ to 1/6 of the maintenance dose of this medication. The dose should then be raised gradually over four to six weeks to avoid intolerance.
How it should be taken :
It comes as a hard gelatin capsule to take by mouth with food as prescribed your health care provider.
Warnings and Precautions :
• Do not give a whole capsule to a child younger than 6 years old.
• Do not use this medication beyond the dosage specified or longer than recommended.
• Withheld this medication if skin rash, central nervous system symptoms, gastrointestinal ulceration and bleeding occurs.
Side Effects :
- Nausea, bad breath, abdominal pain, indigestion, constipation, inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, inflammation of the duodenum, gastrointestinal ulceration and bleeding, drowsiness, brain disorder, headache, seizures, lack of muscle coordination, confusion, tremor, abnormal muscular movements, decreased hearing, dizziness.
- Interstitial nephritis, renal failure.
- Nervousness, abnormal thinking, depression, emotional lability, hallucinations, nightmares.
- Loss of vision, eye pain, blurred vision.
• Clinical Laboratory
- Abnormal liver function, anemia, decrease in the number of white blood cells.
• Body as a whole
Other Precautions :
Avoid excess dosage.
Storage Conditions :
Store at room temperature (20° to 25°C) away from light and moisture.