Generic Name : Cyclosporine
Pronunciation : sye' kloe spor een
TradeName : India- Cyclomune 5% Eye Drops, Cyclomune Eye Drops, Cyclophil Me Softgel, Cyclophil Me Soln, Cyrin Cap, Cyrin Vial, Graftin Cap, Graftin Soln, Immusol Soln, Imusporin Soft-Gelatin Caps, Imusporin Soln, Panimun Bioral Soft-Gelatin Caps, Panimun Bioral Soln, Panium Bioral Cap, Picosporin Amp, Picosporin Softgel, Picosporin Syr, Restasis Vial, Sandimmun Conc Inj, Sandimmun Neoral Cap, Sandimmun Neoral Inj, Sandimmun Neoral Syr, Zymmune Inj.
International- Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune.
Why it is prescribed :
This medication is an immunosuppressant, prescribed for prevention of organ rejection during transplantation. It is also used for psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and uveitis.
When it is to be taken :
Adult- PO- The recommended initial dose range is 10 to 15mg/kg/day. Maintenance: 2 to 6mg/kg/day.
How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule and suspension to take by mouth. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
It also comes as eye drops to instill into the affected eyes.
Special Instruction :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with liver, kidney, brain or nerve problems, changes in blood mineral and cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, cancer, gout, infection, recent vaccination, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of Nephrotoxicity, skin cancer; wear protective clothing during outdoors.
* Avoid vaccination during the treatment period.
* This medication may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
*Avoid eating Grapefruit or drinking Grapefruit juice while taking this medication.
Side Effects :
Most Common -
Kidney dysfunction, tremor and high blood pressure.
Abnormal growth of hair over the body surface.
Central Nervous System -
Convulsions and headache.
Overgrowth of gums, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, liver damage and abdominal discomfort.
Autonomic Nervous System -
Tingling and flushing.
Decrease in white blood cells and cancer in lymph nodes.
Breast enlargement in males.
Other Precautions :
* Monitor blood sugar regularly while taking this medication.
Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.