Generic Name : Cyclobenzaprine Pronunciation : sye kloe ben' za preen Therapeutic Classification : Skeletal Muscle Relaxants ICD Code : Y55.1
India- Mobrine-IR tab.
International- Flexeril. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a skeletal muscle relaxant, prescribed for pain and stiffness caused by muscle strains and sprains. It works by blocking nerve impulses. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients who are taking Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors(MAOIs) or within 14 days after discontinuation, an overactive thyroid, moderate to severe liver problems, certain heart problems and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
PO- The recommended dose is one (15 mg) capsule or tablet, once daily. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of overactive thyroid, heart disease, increased eye pressure, difficulty in urinating, liver problems, cerebral palsy, brain or spinal cord disease, stroke, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may cause heat stroke, maintain your body in cool. Side Effects :
Most Common - Drowsiness, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, abnormal taste, palpitations, tremor, dry throat, pimples, attention disturbances, sleeplessness, fatigue, constipation and indigestion.
Body as a Whole - Fainting and uneasiness.
Heart - Fast heart rate, dilatation of blood vessels and low blood pressure.
Gastrointestinal - Vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, gastrointestinal pain, thirst, flatulence, swelling of the tongue, abnormal liver function tests and jaundice.
Hypersensitivity - Itching, facial swelling, hives and rash.
Musculoskeletal - Local weakness.
Central Nervous System - Seizures, incoordination, speech disorder, tremors, increased muscle tone, convulsions, muscle twitching, disorientation, depressed mood, abnormal sensations, anxiety, agitation, abnormal thinking and dreaming, hallucinations, excitement and tingling.
Skin - Increased sweating.
Special Senses - Loss of taste and ringing in the ear.
Genitourinary - Urinary frequency and retention.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert