Generic Name : Clomipramine Pronunciation : kloe mi' pra meen Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics ICD Code : Y49.0♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Anafranil Tab, Clofranil Sr-Tab, Clofranil Tab, Clomine Tab, Clomip Tab, Clomistar Sr-Tab, Clomistar Tab, Clomizil Cap, Clom-Sr Sr-Tab, Clonil Sr-Tab, Clonil Tab, Depnil Tab, Mario Tab, Ocifril Film-Coated Tab, Ocifril-Xr Film-Coated Tab, Syconil Film-Coated Tab.
International- Anafranil. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA), prescribed for obsessive-compulsive disorder. It increases the amount of serotonin that needs to maintain mental balance. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): ♦ Contraindicated in patients with recent heart attack, hypersensitivity and it should not be given in combination, or within 14 days before or after treatment, with a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, Who are taking linezolid or intravenous methylene blue.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult- Oral- The recommended dose range is 25 to 150mg/day. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, brain damage, urinary problems, increased eye pressure, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, thyroid problems, heart, kidney or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
* Avoid abrupt withdrawal; withdraw gradually.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather; otherwise it may cause heatstroke.
* It may develop an increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may lead to sunburn. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Fatigue, increased or decreased weight, flushing, chest pain, fever, chills, allergy and weakness.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, lightheadedness, faintness, nervousness, tiredness, confusion, difficulty in sleeping, decreased sexual ability, decreased memory or concentration, headache, speech disorder and emotional lability.
Gastrointestinal - Dry mouth, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, tooth disorder, difficulty in swallowing, nausea and vomiting.
Heart - Low blood pressure, palpitation, fast heart rate and fainting.
Respiratory - Inflammation of upper respiratory tract, cough, asthma and difficulty in breathing.
Genitourinary-Common- Urinating disorder, urinary tract infection, urinary frequency/retention, painful urination and bladder inflammation.
Female: Painful menstrual period, vaginal inflammation, absence of menstrual period, breast pain and white discharge.
Eye and ENT - Abnormal vision, taste perversion, ringing in the ear, dilatation of pupil, unequal size of the pupils.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle/joint pain, back pain and muscle weakness.
Blood - Anemia and bruising.
Metabolic - Increased thirst.
* Do not allow anyone else to take this medication. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature and away from moisture.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert