This medication is a fluoroquinoloneantibiotic, prescribed for certain types of bacterial infections such as pneumonia, urinary tract, skin, bones and joint infections. It is also used to treat gastrointestinal infections.
Avoid administration with tizanidine, and in patients with hypersensitivity.
Adult- Oral- The recommended dose range is 250 to 750mg/day in divided doses.
It comes as a tablet, capsule and syrup to take by mouth. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. It also comes as eye/ear drops to instill over the affected eyes.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of stomach infection, liver problems, brain or nervous system problems, increased pressure in the brain, rregular heartbeat, Alzheimer disease, blood vessel problems, muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis), history of seizures, heart, kidney or lung transplants, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Take full course of treatment.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may affect blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• ♦ Patient may develop with increased risk of Tendinopathy and Tendon Rupture, hepatotoxicity, suicidal thoughts, and Peripheral Neuropathy.
• Most Frequent :
Nausea, diarrhea, abnormal liver function tests, vomiting and rash.
• Body as a Whole : Headache, abdominal pain or discomfort, foot pain, pain in the extremities and injection site reaction.
• Cardiovascular : Palpitations, fainting, high or low blood pressure, chest pain, heart attack, fast heart rate and inflammation of vein.
♦ • Central Nervous System : Restlessness, dizziness, lightheadedness, sleeplessness, nightmares, hallucinations, manic reaction, irritability, tremor, incoordination, seizures, lethargy, drowsiness, weakness, uneasiness, loss of appetite, phobia, depersonalization, depression, tingling, abnormal gait, convulsion,paranoia and toxic psychosis.
• Gastrointestinal : Throat pain, mouth infection, difficulty in swallowing, intestinal perforation, gastrointestinal bleeding, jaundice and liver inflammation.
• Blood : Swollen glands.
• Musculoskeletal : Join or back pain, joint stiffness and neck or chest pain.
• Genitourinary : Kidney inflammation/failure, urinary retention, urethral bleeding, vaginal inflammation and breast pain.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing, nosebleed, throat pain, cough, asthma and lung swelling.
• Skin : Allergic reactions, itching, hives, photosensitivity, flushing, fever, chills, swelling of the face, neck, lips, eye or hands, pigmentation, redness of the skin and increased sweating.
• Eye and ENT : Blurred vision, disturbed vision, decreased visual acuity, double vision, eye pain, ringing in the ear, hearing loss and bad taste.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store ciprofloxacin in the container it came in at room temperature. Keep it out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Sea food allergy is the adverse response of the body''s immune system to the proteins present in ...
Yellow fever is a hemorrhagic fever that is transmitted by infected mosquitoes and it can lead to ...
Routes of drug administration play a major role in a medical treatment. Selecting a right route of ...View All