This medication is a bile acid sequestrant, prescribed for high cholesterol. This medication reduces cholesterol level in the blood.
Contraindicated in patients with intestinal obstruction and hypersensitivity.
PO- Initial: 1 scoop or single-use packet (4 g anhydrous cholestyramine) daily to twice daily. Maintenance: 2 to 4 packets or scoops daily, divided into 2 doses.
Children - PO- usual dose is 240 mg/kg/day.
It comes as a powder with dosage measurement cup or in individual dose packets to take by mouth with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, chest pain, stomach, intestinal or gallbladder disease, phenylketonuria (genetic disorder), any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Monitor lipid and cholesterol levels and prothrombin time regularly while taking this medication.
• Skin :
Skin irritation and rash.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, bloating, stomach pain, gas, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, heartburn and indigestion.
• Blood : Bleeding tendencies related to vitamin K deficiency and folic acid deficiency.
• Metabolic-Nutritional : Fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies, acidity and osteoporosis.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°-25°C).
Inguinal hernia surgery is a procedure to repair a weak spot or defect in the lower wall of the ...
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...
Palliative care is a specialized multifaceted care for patients with chronic or terminal illness to ...View All