Generic Name : Chlorpropamide Pronunciation : klor proe' pa mide Therapeutic Classification : Antidiabetics ICD Code : Y42.3
India- Copamide tab.
International- Chlorformin, Diabinese, Glucamide. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a sulfonylurea antidiabetic drug, prescribed for type 2 diabetes. This medication helps to keep blood sugar levels under control. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with type 1 diabetes and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : PO- The recommended initial dose is 250mg/day. It may be adjusted based on patientís condition. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, liver, kidney, thyroid, adrenal or pituitary disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking while taking this medication.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may lead to sunburn.
* It may cause low blood sugar with the following symptoms: weakness, fainting, anxiety, dizziness or drowsiness, if it is so consult with your physician.
* Follow proper diet and exercise program as directed by your physician. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Low blood sugar, Disulfiram-like
Central Nervous System - Dizziness and headache.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and hunger.
Liver - Jaundice.
Skin - Itching and hives.
Blood - Anemia and decrease in blood counts.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert