This medication is an antimetabolite, prescribed for breast cancer and colorectal cancer. It prevents the growth of cancer cells.
Contraindicated in patients with kidney problems or dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) enzyme deficiency and hypersensitivity.
The recommended dose is 1250 mg/m2 administered orally twice daily (morning and evening; equivalent to 2500 mg/m2 total daily dose) for 2 weeks followed by 1-week rest period given as 3-week cycles.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food, two times per day.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, liver or kidney disease, any allergy, bone marrow problems, pain, redness, swelling, tingling, tenderness of the palms and soles, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and lactation.
• Avoid vaccination while taking this medication.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may reduce platelet counts; avoid bruising or injury.
• Monitor blood counts and blood electrolytes while taking this medication.
• Gastrointestinal Disorders :
Diarrhea, nausea, mouth ulcer, vomiting, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal hemorrhage constipation, upper abdominal pain and indigestion.
• Skin : Hand-and-Foot Syndrome, hair loss, rash and redness.
• General : Injection site pain, irritation, swelling, fatigue, fever, chest pain, back pain, weakness and lethargy.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, depression, sleep disorders, headache and abnormal taste.
• Metabolic : Loss of appetite.
• Eye : Eye inflammation and loss of vision.
• Blood : Decreased white blood cells.
• Respiratory : Nosebleed, cough and sore throat.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature 25oC.
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...
There is a lining between the lungs and chest wall known as Pleura. The dismissal of pleura by a ...View All