This medication is a chemotherapy agent, prescribed for chronic myelogenous leukemia. It is also used for bone marrow transplantation. It slows or stops the growth of cancer cells.
Adult: PO- Palliation of chronic myeloid leukaemia- 60 mcg/kg/day. Maintenance: 0.5-2 mg/day. Max: 4 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bone marrow depression, blood problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid vaccination.
• Monitor blood counts, sugar level regularly during therapy.
• It may cause lung toxicity; if so stop the medication.
• It may cause infertility, consult with your doctor for any queries.
• Body As A Whole : Fever, headache, weakness, chills, pain, swelling, general allergic reactions, chest pain, inflammation at injection site and back pain.
• Heart : Fast heart rate and dilatation of blood cells.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, mouth ulcer, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, indigestion, constipation, dry mouth, rectal disorder and abdominal enlargement.
• Metabolic : Decrease in magnesium/glucose/potassium/calcium and increase in liver enzyme levels.
• Central Nervous System : Sleeplessness, anxiety, dizziness and depression.
• Respiratory : Nose inflammation, lung disorder, cough, nosebleed and difficulty in breathing.
• Skin : Rash and itching.
It may cause ovarian failure and may stop girls from reaching puberty.
Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Fallopian tube cancer is a form of gynecologic cancer arising in the fallopian tubes, which are ...
Cushing syndrome is a collection of symptoms caused due to excessive amount of cortisol in the body ...
CAR T-cell therapy is a type of gene therapy where the patient's T-lymphocytes are genetically ...View All