Generic Name : Budesonide and Formoterol Pronunciation : bue-DES-oh-nide- for-MOE-ter-ol FUE-ma-rate Therapeutic Classification : Antiasthmatic agent and Anti-Inflammatory agent ICD Code : Y55.6
International- Symbicort. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This combination medication contains steroid and bronchodilator, prescribed for asthma in patients 12 years of age and older. Budesonide decreases the irritation and swelling of the lung while formoterol dilates the respiratory tract. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with status asthmaticus and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
The recommended starting dose 80/4.5 or 160/4.5, two inhalations twice daily. How it should be taken :
It comes as an inhaler to inhale by mouth, two inhalations twice daily. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease or high blood pressure, epilepsy, diabetes, tuberculosis, electrolyte imbalance, thyroid disorder, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections that may spread to others.
* Avoid vaccination during treatment period.
* Monitor lung function, bone density, blood pressure, and eye exams regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Headache, upper respiratory tract infection, throat pain, inflammation of sinus, back pain, nose block, stomach discomfort, vomiting, mouth infection.
Heart - Chest pain, low or high blood pressure, fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, and palpitations.
Eye - Cataract, glaucoma, increased eye pressure.
Gastrointestinal - Fungal infection, nausea.
Metabolic - Increased blood sugar, and decrease in blood potassium.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle cramps.
Central Nervous System- Tremor, dizziness, behavior disturbances, sleep disturbances, nervousness, agitation, depression, restlessness.
Respiratory - Cough, throat irritation.
Skin - Bruising.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°C to 25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert