Generic Name : Brentuximab Vedotin Pronunciation : bren-TUX-i-mab Therapeutic Classification : Chemotherapy ICD Code : Y43.3
International- Adcetris. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a monoclonal antibody, prescribed for certain types of lymphoma (Hodgkin lymphoma, systemic anaplastic large cell lymphoma [sALCL]). It works by killing cancer cells. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
IV- The recommended dose is 1.8 mg/kg, over 30 minutes infusion every 3 weeks. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of nerve problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* It may decrease platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections that may spread to others.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of tumor lysis syndrome (TLS), and viral brain infection (fatal conditions) with the following symptoms: irregular heartbeat, fainting, decreased urination, muscle weakness or cramps, dizziness, difficulty in talking, poor eyesight, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite; if it is so consult with your healthcare provider. Side Effects :
Most Common - Decrease in white blood cells, anemia, peripheral sensory neuropathy, fatigue, nausea, fever, rash, diarrhea and pain.
Blood - Swelling of lymph nodes and decrease in platelet counts.
Central Nervous system - Headache, sleeplessness, anxiety and dizziness.
General - Chills and swelling in the extremities.
Infections - Upper respiratory tract infection.
Gastrointestinal - Abdominal pain, vomiting and constipation.
Skin - Itching, hair loss, night sweats and dry skin.
Respiratory - Cough, difficulty in breathing and throat pain.
Musculoskeletal - Joint pain, muscle pain, back pain and muscle spasms.
Metabolic - Decreased appetite and weight.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store vial at 2-8°C.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert