Generic Name : Bendamustine hydrochloride Pronunciation : BEN-da-MUS-teen HYE-droe-KLOR-ide Therapeutic Classification : Chemotherapy ICD Code : Y43.3
India- Bendit, Purplz.
International- Treanda. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an alkylating agent, prescribed for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). It kills existing cancer cells and limits new cancer cells growth. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney disease, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
IV- The recommended dose is 100 mg/m² over 30 minutes infusion on Days 1 and 2 of a 28-day cycle, up to 6 cycles. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of infection, liver or kidney problems, other types of cancer, bone marrow depression, any allergy, who are taking this medications, children during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* It may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections.
* Avoid live vaccinations during the treatment period.
* Monitor liver, kidney function, uric acid level, complete blood count, blood chemistry regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Fever, nausea and vomiting, weakness, fatigue, uneasiness, dry mouth, drowsiness, cough, constipation, headache and mouth ulcer.
Heart - Fast heart rate and low blood pressure.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, mouth ulcer, abdominal pain, indigestion, gastroesophageal reflux disease and dry mouth.
General - Fatigue, fever, chills, swelling in the extremities, weakness, infections, chest pain and injection site pain.
Metabolic - Loss of appetite, dehydration, decreased potassium level in blood and decrease in weight.
Musculoskeletal - Back pain, joint pain, pain in extremity and bone pain.
Central Nervous system - Headache, dizziness, sensory loss, sleeplessness, anxiety and depression.
Respiratory - Cough, difficulty in breathing, wheezing and nose congestion.
Skin - Rash, itching, dry skin, night sweats and acidity.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert