Generic Name : Belladonna Alkaloid Combinations and Phenobarbital Pronunciation : bell a don' a- fee noe bar' bi tal Therapeutic Classification : Antispasmodics / Gi Motility ICD Code : Y55.1
International- Donnatal and Hyosophen. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an anticholinergic and barbiturate combination, prescribed for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and intestinal inflammation. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with increased eye pressure, gastrointestinal obstruction, urinary obstruction, heart problem with severe bleeding, muscle problem, alcohol abuse, history of excitement after taking phenobarbital drugs and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Dose is based on patient’s condition.
The recommended dose is one tablet every twelve (12) hours. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of nerve problems, prostate problems, heart problems, hernia, diarrhea, fever, kidney or liver problems, gallbladder problems, breathing problems, overactive thyroid, high blood pressure, difficulty in urinating, ulcer, depression, suicidal thoughts, shock, alcohol addiction, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption. Side Effects :
Gastrointestinal - Dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, constipation and abdominal bloating.
Heart - Fast heart rate and palpitations.
Central Nervous System - Headache, dizziness, sleeplessness, excitement, agitation, drowsiness, nervousness and weakness.
Eye and ENT - Increased eye pressure, blurred vision, dilation of the pupils and loss of taste.
Genitourinary - Impotence, suppression of lactation, urinary hesitancy and retention.
Miscellaneous Musculoskeletal pain, severe allergic reactions including anaphylaxis, hives and other skin manifestations and decreased sweating.
* Avoid becoming over heated; otherwise it may lead to heatstroke.
* It may cause photosensitivity; wear sunglasses. Storage Conditions :
Store it at 20-25°C.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert