Generic Name : Artemether and Lumefantrine Pronunciation : ar-TEM-e-ther- LOO-me-FAN-treen Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Malarials ICD Code : Y41.2♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Abha-Lm, Adither Pl, Alither, Alither Forte, Anther, Arh-L, Arh-L Forte, Arlufe, Arsumet-L, Arte Plus, Artilum, Artivil Pl, Arumaria, A-Teem, Biofalcy-L, Coartrin, Combither, Duther, Epither , Falcimax P, Falcirid, Falcized-L, Falcydol, Go-Malra, Larither, Lphentin, Lumeart, Lumecap-A , Lumefal, Lumerax, Lumerax Syp, Lumether, Malatrit-E, Malither, Methicap, Nortee, Paluther, Rapither, R-Cure, Reonate-L, Rmther, Siothec-Lf, Sviz-Lf, Sviz-Lfd, Vixinate, Xeremal-Al, Zemal, Zemal Forte, Zemal Syr, Zensumet-L, Zuther.
International- Coartem. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an antimalarial agent, prescribed for malaria. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): ♦It should not be co-administered with CYP3A4 inducers and patients with known hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: PO- The recommended initial dose is 4 tablets as single dose, followed by 4 tablets after 8 hours, and then 4 tablets twice a day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution needed for patients with history of heart, liver or kidney disease, mental illness, electrolyte imbalance, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid concomitant use of drugs known to prolong QT interval.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, fatigue, headache, trouble in sleeping, tiredness and weakness.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and stomach pain.
Miscellaneous - Cough, joint and muscle pain and stiffness.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert