Generic Name : Ampenavir Pronunciation : am-PREN-ah-veer Therapeutic Classification : Antiretroviral Agents ICD Code : Y41.5
International- Agenerase. Overview : Note: Brand is not available in US market. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a protease inhibitor, prescribed for HIV/AIDS in combination with at least two other antiviral medications. It inhibits the growth and multiplication of human immunodeficiency virus. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients who are taking ergot derivatives, gastrointestinal motility agent, neuroleptic agent, sedatives, ritonavir and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- Oral- The recommended oral dose is 1,200 mg twice daily in combination with other antiretroviral agents.
Child- Oral- The recommended dose is 20 mg/kg twice daily or 15 mg/kg 3 times daily (to a maximum daily dose of 2,400 mg) in combination with other antiretroviral agents. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, two times per day, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, bleeding disorders, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, liver disease, skin rash, or kidney problems, any allergy, who are taking other medication, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Amprenavir liquid should not be used by infants or children younger than 4 years of age.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* This medication works best when the amount of drug in the body is kept at a constant level. Therefore, take this drug at evenly spaced intervals.
* Patient may develop with increased level of body fat; monitor cholesterol level regularly.
Side Effects :
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, abdominal pain/discomfort, frequent urination, gas, tiredness, aste disorders, extreme hunger and extreme thirst.
Central Nervous System - Tingling/numbness of hands/feet/mouth area, weakness, confusion and mood disorders.
* It may increase blood sugar level, if it so consult with your doctor.
* It is important not to miss doses of amprenavir. Do not take 2 doses at once. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in airtight container. Keep away from children.
Ask an Expert »
Ask an Expert