This medication is a tricyclic antidepressant, prescribed for depression. It increases the amount of certain natural substances in the brain that are needed to maintain mental balance.
Contraindicated in patients with concurrent treatment with MAOIs, recent heart attack, heart diseases, severe liver disease and hypersensitivity.
Adult- Initial- The recommended dose is 50 mg two or three times daily.
It may be increased up to 100 mg 3 times/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, epilepsy, seizures, overactive thyroid, increased eye pressure, blood disorder, suicidal thoughts, enlarged prostate, urination problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision or lightheadedness. Do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: fever, muscle tightness, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If so consult with your doctor.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of involuntary movements; if so consult with your doctor.
• It may develop increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
• Most Frequent :
Drowsiness, dry mouth, constipation and blurred vision.
• Central Nervous System : Anxiety, sleeplessness, restlessness, nervousness, palpitations, tremors, confusion, excitement, nightmares, incoordination and alterations in EEG patterns.
• Allergic : Swelling and skin rash.
• Endocrine : Elevation of prolactin levels.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea.
• Miscellaneous : Dizziness, headache, fatigue, weakness, excessive appetite and increased perspiration.
Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn.
It may cause heatstroke, protect from hot weather.
Keep this medication in a tightly closed container and out of reach of children.
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All