Generic Name : Amobarbital Pronunciation : am- oh- bar'- bi- tal Therapeutic Classification : ANXIOLYTICS, SEDATIVES AND HYPNOTICS ICD Code : Y47.5
International- Amytal. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a barbiturate derivative, prescribed for anxiety, insomnia and induction of preanesthetic sedation. It alters cerebellar function and produces drowsiness, sedation and hypnosis When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with history of acute or chronic pain, respiratory disease, severe liver impairment, porphyria and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Insomnia- Adults - PO/IM/IV 65 to 200 mg at bedtime.
Sedation- Adults - PO/IM/IV 30 to 50 mg twice daily or 3 times daily.
Children - PO/IM 2 to 6 mg/kg/dose.
How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or large muscle. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
* Avoid rapid administration; otherwise it may lead to breathing problem.
* Avoid alcohol consumption. Side Effects :
Heart - Slow heart rate, low blood pressure and fainting.
Central Nervous System - Drowsiness, agitation, confusion, headache, in coordination, CNS depression, excitement, abnormal dreams, mental disturbances, hallucinations, sleeplessness and dizziness.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting and constipation.
Blood - Blood disorders.
Liver - Liver damage.
Respiratory - Shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and asthma.
Miscellaneous - Hypersensitivity reactions (eg, swelling, rashes, exfoliative dermatitis), fever and injection site reactions (eg, local pain, thrombophlebitis).
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert