Generic Name : Amisulpride Therapeutic Classification : PSYCHOTHERAPEUTICS ICD Code : Y49.5
India- Amgrace, Amigold, Amisyt, Bipo-Life, Goldpride, Psyride, Sizopride, Solaze, Sulpitac, Zulpride.
International- Amiprid, Amisulprid Dura, Amisulprid TAD, Amisulprid-biomo, Amisulpride EG, Amitrex, Deniban, Enorden, Goldalian, Isofredil, Matil, Nodasic, Socian, Sulamid, Sulprid, Zolen, Zoloser. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an atypical antipsychotic agent, prescribed for schizophrenia. It corrects the imbalance of chemical substances acting on the nervous system. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with tumor of the adrenal gland (phaeochromocytoma), tumors, children less than 15 years old, during breastfeeding.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: PO ≥15 year: The recommended dose is 400-800 mg/day in 2 divided doses. Max: 1.2 g/day.
IM- The recommended dose is 400 mg/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the large muscle. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of sugar, epilepsy, brain damage, Parkinson’s disease, heart disease, abnormal heart rhythm, disturbances in blood electrolytes level, stoke, dementia, high blood pressure, smoking habit, alcoholism, elderly, and during pregnancy.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
* Patient may experience with abnormal movements, particularly of the face, lips, jaw and tongue, while taking this medication. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome and tardive dyskinesia with the following symptoms: high fever, sweating, muscle stiffness, faster breathing and drowsiness or sleepiness. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Monitor blood sugar level, ECG regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Extra pyramidal effects- abnormal movements, anxiety, restlessness, agitation and increased salivation.
Central Nervous System - Sleepiness or sleeplessness, tardive dyskinesia- involuntary movements, drowsiness, dizziness, and seizures.
Gastrointestinal - Constipation, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth and increased appetite.
Heart - Abnormal heart rhythm, slow heart rate and low blood pressure.
Miscellaneous - Impotence, weight gain, fever, raised liver enzyme level, and allergic reactions.
*Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25 to 30°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert