Generic Name : Aminophylline Pronunciation : am in off i lin Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Asthmatics ICD Code : Y55.6
India: Aminophylline Inj, Aminophylline Tab, Biofylin Amp, Broncofree Liqd, Dialex Syr, Minophyl Inj, Minophyl Tab, Phyllocontin Cr-Tab.
International: Phyllocontin, Truphylline. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a bronchodilator, prescribed for symptoms of asthma, bronchitis and emphysema. It works in the airways by relaxing muscles and opening air passages for improved breathing. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult: PO Chronic bronchospasm As hydrate: Initial: 225-450 mg twice daily, increased if needed. IV Acute severe bronchospasm Loading dose: 5 mg/kg (ideal body wt). Maintenance: 0.5 mg/kg/hr. Rate should not exceed 25 mg/min. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth on an empty stomach. It also comes as solution for injection to be administered by healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, epilepsy, heart failure, over active thyroid, high blood pressure, alcohol addiction, sudden fever, elderly, children, any allergy, who are taking other medication, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid drinking coffee, tea, cola and smoking cigarettes; otherwise it may lead to serious side effects.
Side Effects :
Allergic reactions - Difficulty in breathing, throat infection and swelling of lips, tongue, face.
Central Nervous System - Restlessness, tremor, sleeplessness, headache, lightheadedness, dizziness and epilepsy.
Heart - Increased or irregular heart rate.
Gastrointestinal - Severe nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in a tightly closed container.
2. Keep it out of reach of children.
3. Store suppositories in the refrigerator.
4. Store other forms of aminophylline at room temperature and away from excess moisture.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert