This medication is a synthetic (man-made) anti-viral and antiparkinson agent, prescribed for Parkinson's disease and also for treating certain types of flu. It also is used to prevent and treat respiratory infections caused by influenza A virus.
Adult: PO- Influenza A -100 mg/day for 5 days.
Prophylaxis of influenza A -100 mg/day for up to 6 wk. W/ influenza vaccination: up to 3 wk after vaccination.
Herpes zoster- 100 mg twice daily for 14 days, may continue for another 14 days if pain persists.
Parkinson's disease-100 mg/day, up to 100 mg twice daily after ≥1 wk. Max: 400 mg/day.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with heart or liver disease, kidney impairment, skin disease, mood problems, suicidal thoughts or actions, seizures, increased eye pressure, elderly, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may cause heatstroke, avoid becoming overheated.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS- life- threatening neurological disorder) with the following symptoms: fever; stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating; if it so consult with your doctor.
• Most Frequent :
Nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness and sleeplessness.
• Central Nervous System : Depression, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, headache, confusion, abnormal dreams, agitation, fatigue, drowsiness and nervousness.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, dry mouth, constipation and diarrhea.
• Blood : Increased white blood cell count.
• Eye : Eye inflammation and dilation of pupil.
• Skin : Itching and discoloration of skin.
• Miscellaneous : Swelling in the extremities, low blood pressure and dry nose.
Withdrawal should be gradual.
Avoid excess dosage.
Oral: Store it at room temperature (20-25°C) and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All