This medication is a synthetic retinoid, prescribed for severe psoriasis (abnormal growth of skin cells that causes red, thickened, or scaly skin)It regulates the growth of epidermal cells.
Contraindicated in patients with liver, kidney impairment, during pregnancy (before the start, during and at least 2-3 yr after cessation of therapy), lactation, increased level of lipids in blood.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 25 to 50 mg per day, given as a single dose with the main meal.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day with the main meal.
• It may cause drowsiness or vision changes. Do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Acitretin is noted for the possibility of severe birth defects and should not be used by pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant within 3 years following the use of this medication.
• Sexually active women of childbearing age who use Acitretin should also use at least 2 forms of birth control concurrently.
• Avoid blood donation during therapy or at least 1-3 years after stopping therapy.
• It may make your skin sensitive to light, so avoid sunlight.
• Remove contact lenses while using this medication otherwise it will increase irritation.
• Monitor liver function, plasma lipid and glucose levels (especially in diabetic patients) regularly.
Hypervitaminosis A syndrome (Excess intake of Vitamin A).
• Heart: Heart attack, clots in blood vessels and stroke.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, shakiness, sleeplessness, aggressive feelings and/or suicidal thoughts and depression.
• Gastrointestinal: Dry mouth, increased thirst, taste changes, nausea, vomiting, inflammation of the pancreas and lower stomach pain.
• Skin: Rash, sweating, itching, scaling, dryness, thinning, dry or chapped lips, damage of skin, abnormal skin odor, hair loss and nail damage.
• Genitourinary: Vulvo-vaginal infection due to fungal infection.
• Hypersensitivity: Allergic reaction includes: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), dizziness and trouble in breathing.
• Miscellaneous: Fever, chills, dark urine and peeling of skin.
• Potentially Fatal: Sunburn, jaundice and liver toxicity.
Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
Do not double the dose to catch up missed dosage.
Store between 15° and 25°C (59° and 77°F) in an airtight container. Protect from light. Avoid exposure to high temperatures and humidity after the bottle is opened. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...
Palliative care is a specialized multifaceted care for patients with chronic or terminal illness to ...
Our kitchen and food has the best medicinal properties to fight stress. These are the top 10 foods ...View All