This is a combination of the narcotic hydrocodone and non-narcotic pain reliever acetaminophen. It is prescribed for moderate to severe pain. Acetaminophen increases the effects of hydrocodone, which is an opioid pain medication.
Adult: PO- 1 to 2 tablets or capsules every 4 to 6 hours or 5 to 10 mL (elixir, solution 15 mL) every 4 to 6 hours as needed. Max 6 doses/day.
Children (younger than 12 yr of age): PO- 10 to 15 mg acetaminophen/kg/dose every 4 hour to max 2.6 g per 24 hour.
Children (2 to 13 years of age and at least 12 kg) - 0.2 mL/kg. Max, 6 doses/day.
This medication comes in the form of tablet, capsule and oral solution to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney failure, when under active treatment for thyroid disorders, Addison's disease, asthma, drug abuse or addiction, enlargement of prostate, urethral stricture (narrowing of urethra), lung disease, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of respiratory depression; monitor them carefully while taking this medication.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid taking sleeping pills during the treatment.
• Most Common :
Lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, convulsions, nausea and vomiting.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, headache, fainting, mental clouding, fear, impairment of mental and physical performance, anxiety, psychic dependence, mood changes, somnolence progressing to stupor or coma, malaise and lethargy.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, upper stomach pain, loss of appetite.
• Genitourinary : Urethral spasm, urinary retention, decreased urination, renal toxicity; spasm of vesical sphincters.
• Heart: Hypotension, bradycardia and circulatory collapse.
• Respiratory : Respiratory depression, irregular breathing and acute airway obstruction.
• Special Senses : Hearing impairment or permanent loss of hearing, ringing in the ears, blurred vision.
• Skin : Cold and clammy skin, sweating profusely, rash and itching.
• Miscellaneous : Allergic reactions.
Avoid excess dosage and long-term use of this medication, because mental and physical dependence can occur.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C) and in an airtight container. Keep this medication out of reach of children. Do not refrigerate.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Routes of drug administration play a major role in a medical treatment. Selecting a right route of ...
Spinal anesthesia and epidural anesthesia are types of regional anesthesia in which when a drug is ...
Colorectal cancer is a cancer that starts in the colon or the rectum. Colo-rectal cancer is the ...View All