This combination medication contains analgesic, antipyretic and depressant agent, prescribed for tension headache, pain and anxiety. It works by relaxing muscle contractions. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer, butalbital relaxes muscle contractions involved in a tension headache and caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant which relaxes muscle contractions in blood vessels to improve blood flow. It works by relaxing muscle contractions.
1 or 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. Total daily dosage should not exceed 6 tablets. The dose is based on the medical condition and response to therapy.
It comes as a tablet, capsule and solution to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver problems, a certain enzyme disorder (porphyria), severe kidney problems, severe heart diseases, lung or respiratory tract diseases, sleeping disorders, alcohol dependence, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery, while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption; otherwise it may cause liver damage.
• It may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills; take additional measures for birth control.
• Do not use this medication if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) within the past 14 days.
• Most Common :
Drowsiness, lightheadedness, tremor, dizziness, sedation, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
• Central Nervous System : Headache, shaky feeling, tingling, agitation, fainting, fatigue, heavy eyelids, high energy, hot spells, numbness, sluggishness, intoxicated feeling and seizures.
• Gastrointestinal : Difficulty in swallowing, loss of appetite, flatulence, constipation and dry mouth.
• Heart : Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat, heartburn.
• Musculoskeletal : Leg pain and muscle weakness.
• Genitourinary : Increased urination, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
• Miscellaneous : Itching, earache, nasal congestion, ringing in the ear and allergic reactions.
Avoid excess dosage.
Extended and repeated use of this product is not recommended because of the potential for physical dependence.
Store it at room temperature (20° to 25°C) and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Yellow fever is a hemorrhagic fever that is transmitted by infected mosquitoes and it can lead to ...
Routes of drug administration play a major role in a medical treatment. Selecting a right route of ...
Spinal anesthesia and epidural anesthesia are types of regional anesthesia in which when a drug is ...View All