Some of us are fortunate enough to be born with well defined and shaped brows, while the rest of us have thick brows or 'unibrows' which need to be trimmed, plucked, threaded or shaped.
Scanty eyebrows can be attributed to various causes Ė stress, medication, illness, and even genetic disorder.
Sometimes, you may pluck or shape them too thin. You have thick brows to start with but as you try to get the right shape you end up plucking too much. It is safer to shape them professionally at a salon for first time or two and follow up on your own by following the initial shape.
One of the first things to do when the eyebrows don't grow back is to immediately stop plucking or threading eyebrows and let them grow back to their full thickness again Ė if possible.
Dip your finger in castor oil and massage the eyebrow well. Do this for the other eyebrow as well. Leave it on and go to bed. Take care not to use too much oil as it should not drip into the eyes. Wash gently next morning with a face wash.
Here are some other home remedies to make your eyebrows grow -
- Apply some cold milk to eyebrows and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash off. Repeat twice everyday for 2 months.
- Massage eyebrows with olive oil to thicken hair growth. Take care to massage in the same direction as the growth. As a bonus, the existing hair on the brow as well looks darker and softer with this massage.
- Aloe vera gel is great when used regularly. Similarly, coconut oil too works magic for hair growth and massages. The same magic works for thickening eyebrows.
- Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water for 4 to 5 hours and make a paste. Apply on brows at bedtime. Wash off in the morning. You can also mix almond oil to this paste.
- Fresh onion juice may be a bit pungent and smelly but it can help with the growth of eyebrows.
- Apply egg yolk with finger tip or cotton balls on your eyebrows and keep it for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash off.
If you are not into home remedies, you may fix your eyebrows cosmetically.
Brown eyeliner can be used to darken existing brows. Use small feathery strokes so that the eyebrows look well defined without the painted look.
Sometimes women get surgically implanted eyebrows but this can prove to be very expensive and painful.
Too much of hair on the eyebrows can also pose a problem. Those who sport a caterpillar look can trim and tweeze a little to bring in uniformity and a clean groomed look.
If you are among those who donít want the unibrow look (where eyebrows grow abundantly and join in the center and seem like one long eyebrow), you can tweeze some hair out from the middle of the brow.