There are a variety of ingredients, which can be used, so take care to choose whatever suits your skin best. At times when you use the same face mask continuously, it can stop showing too much progress, so go ahead and try another. Take care to test your skin as you go along.
- Grate half a cucumber and blend it with a cup of oatmeal. Add 1 teaspoon of yogurt to this, to make a paste. Apply on the face, taking special care to cover blemishes and leave for 10 minutes. Wash gently with cool water. With regular use this mask will soften and smooth acne pits.
- This is a simple one – grate cucumber and strain to collect ½ a cup of juice. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and mix well. Apply this on face and neck area, leave for 15 minutes. Wash gently with cool water and splash some cold water to close pores. The skin will clear up and glow.
- Take 1 teaspoon of brewer’s yeast and mix it well with 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Apply this paste and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash gently with cool water. This helps to clear blemishes. Repeat every other day for 2 months.
- Mash some boiled carrots to make a cup. Apply thickly on face and leave it on till it dries or for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold milk first and then use cold water. This is very good for acne marks and pits.
- Use a blend of 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of rose water. Apply on face and neck every night and go to bed. Wash with normal water in the morning. If this feels sticky– wash it after 40 minutes.
- Peel and grate some green papaya. Mash well or run it through the blender. Apply this as a thick paste for 20 minutes before washing face. This works well on acne and pit marks and brings a smooth and glowing complexion.
- Take 2 tablespoons of green gram (moong) powder and make a paste with water. Leave on the face for 20-25 minutes and rinse with cool water. This clears pimples, acts on wrinkles and moisturizes skin as well. The powder can be stored in a jar.
- Rub a nutmeg against a stone with some cold milk to get a paste. You can finely dry grind 4-5 nutmegs and store the powder. Mix 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder with 2 teaspoons of cold milk and apply this paste on the face. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing gently with cool water. This removes acne marks and lightens skin tone.
- Castor oil is very popular and known to remove blemishes and pigmentation. Apply by moving fingers in a circular direction. Use this twice a day. Avoid using if there are any pus filled pimples – as the oil will aggravate them. Avoid using castor oil during pregnancy.
- Take 1 tablespoon of gram flour (chick pea flour). Mix 1 tablespoon of yogurt to form a paste. This has exfoliating properties as well as fading blemishes. This mask is effective and safe to use as it does not cause any reactions. A few drops of lemon juice may be added.
- Make a mask with 2 tablespoons of sandal wood powder and 2 tablespoons of rose water. After washing your face with warm water, apply this paste and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash with cool water. This mask generally suits all skin types.
- Blend the juice of ½ a lemon with 1 egg white. Apply this mask on face and neck and wash after it dries. It can be kept on face overnight. This will tighten skin and is especially good for open pores.
- Take the water from a green coconut or tender coconut and apply on blemishes and for pigmentation. This can be applied on dark elbows and knees as well. It lightens the skin tone. This water is said to remove pox marks.
Face masks – which are made from natural ingredients, will take a little longer to show results, though regular care will definitely show positive and long lasting results.