Interstitial Cystitis / Painful Bladder Syndrome - Slideshow
What is Interstitial Cystitis?
An inflammation of the bladder is called cystitis. It is usually caused by a bacterial infection.
Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a chronic condition that causes pain and inflammation in the urinary bladder even without infection.
Most of the patients are women and the average age of onset is 40 years.
Exact cause(s) is unknown. Some of the causes suggested include -
Defect in the bladder epithelium
Unidentified infectious agents
Symptoms of IC are characterized by periods of remission and relapse.
Frequency in urination and urgency to urinate are common symptoms.
Other symptoms include -
Pain in the bladder, lower back, pelvic region
There are no specific tests to diagnose IC.
It usually begins by ruling out other illnesses, such as bladder cancer.
Diagnosis is done by -
Cystoscopy to inspect the bladder
Oral medications include heparinoid drugs, anti histamines, aspirins, ibuprofen
Bladder instillation, also called bladder wash
Surgery, if the patient does not respond to other treatments
Management - Diet
Certain foods aggravate the condition. They include -
Foods with Vit
Management - Other methods
Avoid smoking, as it worsens symptoms
Regular exercises brings symptom relief
Bladder training techniques are useful
Understanding the condition and seeking support groups help to better tackle the condition
You May Also Like
- Video Animation
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Heart Attack
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Mitral Valve Disease and Replacement
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Ventricular Septal Defect
- Active Heart
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Blood Pressure
- Learn How to Count Your Pulse
- Angioplasty - 3D
- How to know if someone is Breathing
- Breakfast Foods to Avoid
- Foods that Prevent Bloating of Abdomen
- Top 10 Foods that Help Prevent Premature Ejaculation
- Multiply Luck in 2016 by Eating Lucky Foods on New Year's Eve
- Detanning Skin with Home Remedies
- Foods to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Ways To Boost Your Immune System
- Top Ten Foods for Healthy Hair
- Top 15 Foods to Avoid For Diabetics